1. GREAT WORK-OUT! It’s one of the best cardiovascular exercises you can get. Your heart rate goes up with the constant movement. In fact, a typical hour of tap dancing is likely to burn between 350-400 calories, depending on the speed of the routines. Dancing three times a week is as beneficial (if not more) as spending the same time on an exercise bike, but it’s much more fun.
2. IMPROVED METABOLISM! Tap dancing is a high-energy exercise which works the leg muscles the most, and can be accentuated by the rest of the body. Muscles work a lot more than you might realize. And more muscle means a faster metabolism.
3. DISEASE CONTROL! The proof is documented. Studies have shown that dancing can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, type-2 diabetes and osteoporosis. (Bone requires a weight bearing activity to stimulate growth.)
4. STAYIN’ ALIVE! The American Heart Association reports that every 15 minutes someone dies as a direct result of heart problems caused by physical inactivity. Just 30 minutes of activity each day has been shown to help stave off heart disease and other problems.
5. EXPRESS CREATIVITY! The dancer can create his or her own rhythms. Improvisation can really bring out your artistic side, and it’s easy to get the hang of it once you’ve learn just a few basic steps.
6. ALONE OR NOT! Tap dancing only requires some instruction and minimal equipment. While you can certainly tap dance with a partner, tap dancing is just as gratifying when done alone.
7. DEVELOP BALANCE! The more you dance, the better your balance will become. Learning how to shift your weight while on the balls of your feet can drastically help build stability and steadiness in other activities throughout your life.
8. DANCE LIKE THE STARS! Share this talent with celebrities like Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers, Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, Shirley Temple, Sammy Davis Jr., Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, George Hamilton, Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Mario Lopez, Alfonso Ribero, Joey Lawrence, Tony Danza, Alyssa Milano, and John Travolta, who have all indulged in tap classes. No matter how young or old, anyone can do it.
9. RELIEVE STRESS! Remember that old advice about punching a pillow when something upsets you? Tap allows you to strike the floor instead! Also, you can never be in a bad mood while tap dancing. Even if you arrive to class after a terrible day, your frown will quickly turn upside-down
10. IT’S FUN! Hey, if that’s not enough motivation to pick up a pair of tap shoes, I don’t know what is. You should enjoy the activities that keep you in shape.