What to Wear & Where to Get It
Stretchy clothes are a must; nothing too baggy.
- Kids ages 2-10 should wear leotards to assure that there are no clothing distractions. Leotards can be purchased at Target or Discount Dance Supply. Sheer ballet skirts are acceptable. Please use studio code “TP00015” if ordering with Discount Dance Supply online, or in the La Mesa store.
- Stretchy pants/capris/shorts/tops are appropriate for older kids and adults in any dance class.
- Absolutely NO jeans, skirts, dresses, or large tutus will be permitted during dance class. Dancers need to be able to move easily, and the instructor needs to clearly see your movements.
Make sure it’s pulled back away from the face. Pony tails are absolutely fine, and hair buns are easier than you may think! Here are a couple short video demonstrations:
Keep to a minimum. No long necklaces or earrings will be permitted for safety reasons.
Appropriate dance shoes should always be worn during dance class; DO NOT wear dance shoes outdoors! No outside shoes will be permitted on the dance floor. DANCE SHOE EXAMPLES:
tap | jazz | ballet | hip-hop | contemporary
- The preferred vendor for dance shoes is Discount Dance Supply located in La Mesa, CA. Tap Fever students may receive a 10% discount on any purchase. Stop by Tap Fever for a coupon. Please use studio code “TP00015” if ordering with Discount Dance Supply online, and in the La Mesa store.
- Toddler tap & ballet shoes can also be purchased from Payless for a reasonable price.
- The Capezio store at UTC mall is permanently closed.
- If you don’t have dance shoes for your first class at Tap Fever: ballet portions may be done barefoot, and tap shoes may be rented for $3 each time.
Having a dance bag is the best way to ensure that you’re ready for dance class. As long as you grab your dance bag before walking out the door, there should be no worries about forgetting something crucial. Please use studio code “TP00015” if ordering with Discount Dance Supply online, or in the La Mesa store.
Every dance bag should include the following:
- fitted cotton shirt
- stretchy pants or shorts
- extra pair of socks
- leotard + tights (for kids)
- dance shoes
- hair brush or comb
- hair elastic/bobby pins/barrettes
- water bottle
- sticker book (for ages 2-10)
Practicing Tap At Home
For about $5 you can get a 2×4 foot wood board from Home Depot, which you can store under your bed.
OR, you can buy a Rollout bamboo Practice Surface through the Am. Tap Dance Foundation for about $160.